How to Choose an Abstract Rug for Your Space
Abstract rugs are open to multiple interpretations and this is just one of the many reasons you should have one in your space. Every style is unique and colorful. So, you get to choose from multiple designs and patterns.
Having to choose from a wide range of options, however, comes with its own challenges. You’ll often spend a lot of time deciding those that are most suitable for your home or office décor.
For instance, an abstract area rug made of grey and blue may come off as a stormy ocean in some living rooms but create a calming feeling in others, depending on the design.
Nonetheless, abstract rugs let you decide how they influence the look of your room. You remain in control of your space. choose your preferred colors and interpret what they mean to you as you combine other accessories.
Modern abstract rugs are made of either warm, cool colors, or a mixture of both. If you plan to create a calm ambiance, cool-colored abstract rugs will blend smoothly. But if your room has existing warm colors, you should stick with warm-colored abstract rugs.
Generally, when choosing a rug that you and your guests will appreciate in your space, you must consider your lifestyle.
Here are some other things to consider before buying an abstract rug:
- Consider whether your rug will be placed in an area with lots of foot traffic such as the hallway or the sitting room. If you have little children or pets, you should choose a durable abstract rug that is easy to clean and has a fine synthetic blend.
- Also, note that a dark-colored abstract rug will cover up stains.
- Make sure you trust your instincts if you must buy an abstract area rug since no one has the same artistic appreciation or sense of aesthetic value as you do.
- While asking questions on which rug is ideal, nothing beats your self-choice. No one knows your style the way you do. So you shouldn’t buy a popular abstract rug if you don’t find it fanciful.
How to Choose an Abstract Rug Size
Besides considering colors and personal style when choosing abstract rugs, you still haven’t mastered how to choose an abstract rug if you don’t know the modern abstract rug size that will fit your space.
Different types of abstract rugs for sale come in various forms, shapes, and sizes. And knowing the best rug size to buy can change everything. Using the wrong rug size can ruin the appearance of your home. So, before you shop for one, do a brief assignment. Start with knowing the correct measurement of the area you want to place your rug. This gives you a broad sense of the size of the rug to buy. Below are a few expert guidelines that will help you in choosing the best abstract rug size for your space.
- In the family room, select a size that overlies at least the length and width of your furniture. For example, A 5x7 or a 6x9 rug is a good size to cluster furniture around for a cozier area. For an extended or larger space, select a larger size that outlines the perimeter of the space.
- In the dining room, your abstract rug should be a bit larger than the dining table, at least to allow movement of the chair.
- An 18 to 24 inches of flooring around the perimeter of the room not covered by the abstract area rug will be more appropriate if you have a wooden floor.
- Tape the area you want to place your abstract rug with a painter’s tape to help you visualize perfectly or at least, give you a sense of the size of the rug you’d want in your space.
How to Choose an Abstract Rug Color and Pattern
Whether you must buy an abstract area rug that suits your style or a modern abstract rug that is compatible with the colors of your home, you must decide the color and pattern that goes well with your space. To do this:
- Take a quick inventory of the color scheme in your space. To tie the look of the room together, you’ll want to select a rug that complements the most obvious colors in your room, at least two or three. If you go to a store, go with a piece of mobile furniture like a throw pillow and a color sample of your main furniture or wall colors. It is easier to visualize how these color patterns work together when there are references.
- If the main furniture in your space, such as a sofa, is a solid color, strongly consider using an abstract area rug with solid colors. Also, use solid colors if your main furniture is made of elaborate designs or upholstered in abstract patterns.
- The secondary color of an abstract rug’s color scheme should match the color of your sofa. Also, the third rug color of the scheme should match your pillows, drapes, wall color, or other features in the room like a painting, sculpture, or flower vase.
- Abstract rugs create focal points as they come in multiple color schemes and help to define the mood and establish intimacy in your space. Use dark, rich colors to help accentuate a more intimate bedroom, or use lighter colors if you want to make your space appear larger than it is. Spicy shades like orange or red create a warm feeling while cool colors create calm.
Alternative Ways to Add Colors Using Abstract Rugs
Abstract rugs with bold patterns or designs can be quite difficult to design around. However, there are other ways to master how to choose an abstract rug that fits your home décor goals. Here are some alternative tips for adding colorful abstract rugs to any room in your home.
1. The most obvious piece of furniture in your space should be kept neutral: Adopt earthy colors like black, white, ash, grey, and brown, which are neutral hues, for the main pieces of furniture like your sofa. This works perfectly when you have a large area rug to accentuate your space.
2. Pick a color from the several colors on the rug to match some accessories in your room: You are in charge of blending the several accessories such as a throw pillow, a flower vase, as well as a painting, with your abstract rug placed on the floor. To ensure you achieve this, at least, one color from your rug should match with the color of an accessory.
3. Abstract rugs with rich supersaturated hues should be complemented with equally rich wall colors: Supersaturated abstract rugs are over-dyed. If you have the choice of using one, it is ideal to use a rich wall color such as a deep, warm gray or a bitter chocolate hue to blend both items. They will fit gorgeously in your space.
4. Have a type of abstract rug in mind before you go shopping for one: Be honest with yourself about the type of area rug you want. Be sure you are not just picking one because of popular opinion. Whatever choice you make for the outlook of your space – traditional or modern, buy a matching rug to complement your space.
5. Have fun with it: A rainbow hue does the trick in this tip. Match the colorful rainbow colors of your abstract rugs with your flower vases, bold paintings, and other artworks in your home.
Other Things to Consider in Choosing Abstract Rugs
Besides the right size, beautiful colors, and intricate patterns on abstract rugs, here are other things to consider before choosing one for your space:
1. Material Quality
Material determines the style and extent of use of an area rug. Each rug material has its own unique characteristics, which affect their overall quality.
Natural fibers like wool tend to have higher quality and can withstand heavy foot traffic, but they are usually more expensive and don't like moisture. Cottons are more affordable and are a good option for low traffic areas as they fade quickly and do not repel stains. Synthetic rugs like polypropylene, nylon, and polyester, on the other hand, are popular choices in the current market as they tend to be less expensive, easy to clean, resistant to stains, and versatile.
The material type and quality of your abstract rugs determine the following:
- Where to use it - Indoor or outdoor, low or high traffic areas
- Durability - how long can your abstract rug last and retain its color, texture, and patterns before needing a replacement?
- Cleaning Methods - Can it be washed by hand or machine, or both?
- Ease of Maintenance - rugs that do not retain stains, dust, and dirt are usually easier to clean and maintain.
- Price - The higher the quality of a rug, the more expensive it becomes. Abstract rugs made from natural fibers are usually more expensive than those made from synthetic materials.
- Existing Home Décor Style
What's your existing home decor style? Or what design style do you have in mind for your interior decoration? These are two important questions you need to ask yourself before choosing abstract rugs.
Modern abstract rugs are more suitable for use in modern, contemporary, coastal, and boho chic decor styles. It's okay to get abstract rugs for living rooms with any of these interior designs.
Abstract rugs in neutral or light colors complement minimalist decor as well. However, you will be committing a design blunder if you introduce abstract rugs into homes with traditional, farmhouse, or Scandinavian decor styles. If you’re not sure of what you want or what your current home décor is, read our guide on Area Rugs for Different Décor Styles.
The price of modern abstract rugs is determined by a number of factors, including the size of the rug required, the material type, the method of creation, and overall quality.
So, an abstract rug 8x10 size is usually costlier than a 2x3 or 5x7 rug size. Hand-made abstract rugs are typically more expensive than machine-made versions. Woolen rugs and other natural-fabric rugs are not as pocket-friendly as synthetic rugs.
An abstract area rug is no doubt a beautiful and fashionable home décor accessory if you get the color, size, and combinations well. Adopt some of these tips to avoid missing out on anything as you shop for the most fitting abstract rug for your space.
The first place to start? Check out Luxe Weavers’ impressive selection of abstract rugs.