5 Simple Ways to Clean Your Shag Rug and Keep It Sparkling New
Shag rugs are more popular now than when they were newly introduced due to their ability to introduce plush and retro ambiance into a space. They offer both comfort and aesthetics whenever they're deployed in a place. Shag rugs have long piles with a fluffy and shaggy appearance, which makes them seem ideal for areas with heavy foot traffic and a high risk of spills.
While shag rugs are generally loved for their fascinating appearance, cleaning and maintaining them have proven to be a challenge for many owners. Due to their unique nature, you must be intentional about your shag rugs because cleaning them like other regular carpets can damage them.
But here’s the good news – cleaning your shag rugs isn’t as difficult as it seems, you just need to know how to go about it. That’s why we have highlighted below - 5 simple ways to clean your precious shag rug and keep it sparkling new always.
What You’ll Need
To get your shag rug in that clean and sparkling state you desire, you need some equipment or tools as well as a few materials.
Tools / Equipment
- Shaggy rug brush
- Vacuum cleaner
- Carpet rake
- Sponge mop
- Microfiber towel
- Plastic tarp
- Small bowl
- Baking Soda
- Dry carpet shampoo
- Mild dishwashing liquid
5 Simple Ways to Wash a Fluffy Rug
There are several ways or methods to get your shag rug in top shape depending on dirty it is. Below are a few recommended methods:
1. Shake or Beat It Up
Beating or shaking up your shag rug is a great way to clean it. This method is great for getting rid of dust, sand, hairs, and other particles from your rug. This method is ideal for small and medium-sized rugs that are not stained or require thorough cleaning.
For a small rug
- carefully pack it, take it outdoor, and shake or beat it against the wall to remove dirt.
For larger rugs
- lay the shag rug over a rail to support its weight.
- Beat the rug repeatedly with a broom to get rid of dirt
- Sundry for a few hours to kill an existing germ.
2. Spot Clean
This method is effective for quickly getting rid of spills and stains before they set or dry so you don’t have to wash the entire rug.
- Use a towel to soak the spill before it goes deep into the carpet.
- Mix water and some detergent to a concentration fair enough to get rid of the stain.
- Dip a shaggy rug brush into the soapy solution and scrub the affected area gently in a circular motion.
- Rinse with clean water and allow it to air dry.
3. Dry Bath
Sometimes, vacuuming may not be enough to get rid of all dirt on your shag rug. Take your effort a notch higher by cleaning it with dry carpet shampoo and watch your fluffy rug spring back to life.
- Vacuum the dirty rug.
- Sprinkle some dry shampoo on the rug.
- Use the shaggy rug brush to carefully work the dry shampoo into the fibers.
- Leave the shampoo on the rug for the period recommended by the manufacturer, usually about 10 minutes or more.
- Vacuum or shake off the dry shampoo.
4. Steam Clean
Steam cleaning is a great way to give your rug a thorough wash. It is very effective for removing all sorts of odor, dust, dirt, and other particles deeply settled in your shag rug.
- Vacuum the rug thoroughly.
- Put some water and mild detergent in the steam cleaner.
- Run the steam cleaner over the rug, and move it from one end to another until all stains and dirt are removed.
- Allow the rug to air dry.
5. Hand Wash
You can wash your rug by hand if it’s not dry clean only and you don’t have a steam cleaner. Never use a washing machine as it may damage your precious carpet.
- Vacuum the rug thoroughly
- Fill the tub with water and add detergent as appropriate.
- Deep the rug in the tub and allow to soak for some minutes.
- Scrub the rug gently with the brush to remove stains and dirt.
- Drain the bathtub and rinse the rug with clean water.
- Wring out as much water as possible.
- Place the rug outside or in a well-ventilated area to air dry.
How to Vacuum Shag Rug
Although rug vacuuming is a common practice, most people don't know how to do it properly, especially when it comes to shag rugs. Below are the steps to follow to properly vacuum your shag rug
1. Start by shaking out your rug for a fuller clean.
2. Use a recommended vacuuming machine for your shag rug.
3. Set the vacuum to the highest setting so that the high rug pile doesn’t get stuck in the machine.
4. Vacuum the rug thorough until all dirt is removed.
5. Turn the rug over and vacuum it as well.
How to Deep Clean a Shag Rug
If your shag rug is too dirty or stained to be cleaned by regular methods, it may be the perfect time to give it a deep clean. We'll recommended you hire a professional carpet cleaning agency to help bring your shag rug back to life.
You may end up ruining your shag rug by attempting to carry out a deep clean it without proper knowledge. You will have to pay a few bucks for the service, but it would be worth it.
Need a shag rug? Shop our stain-resistant top quality polypropylene shag rugs today.