As the temperature rises and summer draws closer, getting the perfect outdoor space slowly becomes the worry of many people. One way to lessen your worry and be one step closer to having a perfect outdoor space is to introduce outdoor area rugs.
In recent times, the outdoor rug market has experienced a boom due to its exceptional qualities and ability to withstand the elements. Besides being able to transform your space into a beauty haven, outdoor rugs can also bring unity to outdoor spaces like a patio, screen porch, or balcony.
In this guide you'll learn all about outdoor rugs and how you can use them to create the perfect outdoor seating and entertainment area this summer.
Know Your Outdoor Rug
Outdoor rugs not only make your outdoor spaces more visually appealing, but they also help define spaces and make them feel just as livable and comfortable as the ones inside.
Although outdoor rugs are crafted from several excellent materials, polypropylene is often considered the best fit for this job. Polypropylene outdoor rugs have a similar appearance as natural fibers, but unlike natural fibers, they can absorb water. However, polypropylene will not grow mold or mildew when exposed to water nor fade in direct sunlight. This makes them well-suited for the outdoors like balcony, poolside, patio, etc.
Furthermore, most outdoor rugs are easy to clean and maintain, thereby, increasing their durability.
Stylish Ways to Highlight Your Space with an Outdoor Rug
Here are some stylish ways to spice up your space with an outdoor floor covering.
- Place A Rug Under the Table – Freshen up your outdoor eating area with a bold, colorful, and waterproof outdoor rug. One of the benefits of this is that you can easily pull out the hose and wash your rug in case of a spill.
- Add Pattern and Color to Spaces – The color, theme, and pattern of an outdoor rug can bring instant beauty to space however big or small. You can use the rug to set the theme or tone of a space or use it to compliment the already existing ones.
- Define or Designate Spaces – You can use an outdoor rug to define your outdoor spaces and designate zones to different activities. Create a conversation area by placing furniture around your outdoor area rug.
- Make It Comfier by Going Big – If you have enough space, consider using a large area rug to add more comfort to your outdoor. Take advantage of the scale and warmth of the outdoor rug to make your patio or balcony feel more like an indoor living area.
- Use Outdoor Rugs on Walkways – one rule of thumb used by design professionals to warm up supposedly neglected spaces is to place runners on hallways. This can also be applied to your patios or balcony. You can bring warmth and interest to a narrow walkway connecting two areas of your deck or patio by adding an outdoor rug,
- Less is More – If your space or budget won’t allow for a large outdoor rug, choosing a smaller floor covering with a great design is better than having nothing at all. A smaller piece like the outdoor rugs 5x7 can be the difference-maker in your outdoor space.
5 Areas You Need an Outdoor Rug
- The Porch
The porch is an extension of the inside of your home. Although pouches are covered, the driving rain, humidity, sunlight, and other elements could still manage to get inside them. That’s why it is necessary to get an outdoor rug that’s resistant to mold, mildew, and moisture.
Adding a waterproof outdoor rug will keep your porch looking as sleek and stylish as possible. We particularly love this idea because it will add a layer of comfort and create a living room feel to your space and make your outdoor experience more enjoyable.
- The Balcony
Small spaces like the balcony can make an apartment look or feel bigger. A small or medium-sized outdoor rug can bring much-needed style and comfort to the limited space of a balcony.
Most balconies have a concrete floor that collects lots of dust and makes walking barefooted uncomfortable. Placing an outdoor on such balconies helps create a clean and comfortable surface to walk on.
- The Outdoor Living Room
Nothing makes a room as cozy as a rug – so you better go and get yourself an outdoor rug if you don't want your outdoor living room to feel any less. With a sofa, accent chairs, throw pillows and a coffee table; an outdoor rug is the final piece of the puzzle to create that perfect outdoor space.
Put all these in place, and you have a replica of your indoor living room, just that this time, you will be sitting under the sun and fresh air.
- The Pool Deck
Having a swimming pool in your backyard is cool, but you know what's cooler? Placing an outdoor rug right beside it in the lounge. Placing an outdoor rug underneath your lounge furniture right beside your swimming pool will give your space that classy and elegant feel.
Additionally, a rug will provide comfort and protection for your feet after sunbathing the day away with loved ones. Just ensure it can completely dry off after every pool time.
- The Outdoor Dining Room
One way to make your outdoor dining room feel more welcoming and lived in is to ground it with an outdoor rug. Just make sure the rug is large enough for all your chairs to fit comfortably on it, even when pulled out.
Talk about warming your feet and making your outdoor dining room more inviting and visually appealing, a rug can do it all.
Now, youNow that you’ve learned how to create the perfect summer outdoor sitting area with an outdoor rug, you’d begin to see how they define your space, provide warmth and comfort for your feet, and make your outdoor space look stylish and colorful. Shop from Luxe Weavers' affordable collection of modern rugs to start decorating.
While there’s nothing like an ideal area rug size as it all boils down to individual needs, preferences, and perceptions, from our experience over the years, the 8x10 area rug size remains the most popular among homeowners and area rug lovers alike.
In this area rug size guide, you’ll not only have answers to the "Why?", but you'll also learn about the best 8x10 area rugs for your space.